Care of Live Stock
All Golden Cockerel birds are fed on a carefully balanced diet of wheat, sorghum, soyameal, sunflower meal and other essential vitamins and minerals to ensure a very healthy and highly nutritious chicken.
• Chicken Meat is not a genetically modified food
• Hormones are not used in the chicken meat industry
Chickens in the Australian industry are grown to the requirements of Australian Code of Practice for Welfare of Animals.
The poultry houses where we grow the chickens are environmentally managed so that the chickens are not exposed to climatic extremes and can roam freely throughout the house. Meat chickens are not grown in cages in the Australian Industry.
Golden Cockerel is certified to the following standards and are regularly audited to ensure compliance.
- BRC – meets the need of suppliers, customers and consumers for consistent Food Safety and Quality through compliance with this international standard. It describes and guides a HACCP based Quality Management System.
- RSPCA Approved – Golden Cockerel participates in the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme. Our processing operations are annually assessed against the RSPCA’s Standard for meat chickens, which allows us to process RSPCA Approved chicken. Find out more here
- SafeFood Qld – Our site is audited by SafeFood Qld regularly to ensure we comply with regulatory requirements, relevant Australian Standards and HACCP principles.
- Aus-Meat – We are audited annually by Aus-Meat to ensure our animal welfare practices are at least up to standard.
- Customer Requirements – we are also audited regularly be our major customers, including Coles and Aldi to ensure we meet their exacting requirements for Food Safety and Quality.